Recommended Books and Resources
Pet Loss Support Books:
- The Loss of a Pet: A Guide to Coping with the Grieving Process When a Pet Dies by Wallace Sife, PhD.
- Grieving the Death of a Pet by Betty J. Carmack
- When Your Pet Dies: A Guide to Mourning, Remembering, and Healing by Alan D. Wolfelt, Ph.D., C.T.
Pet Loss Support CD's:
Pet Loss Journals:
- Paw Prints in the Stars: A Farewell and Journal for a Beloved Pet by Warren Hanson
- My Personal Pet Remembrance Journal by Enid Samuel Traisman, MSW
Books for Children:
- Cat Heaven by Cynthia Rylant
- Dog Heaven by Cynthia Rylant
- Finding the Words: How to talk with children and teens about death, suicide, funerals, homicide, cremation, and other end-of-life matters by Alan D. Wolfelt, Ph.D., C.T.
- Frankie the Walk 'n Roll Dog by Barbara Gail Techel
- Paw Prints in Heaven by Connie Stubbs
- Sally Goes to the Vet by Stephen Huneck
- Snort’s Special Gift by Suzann Yue
- The Tenth Good Thing About Barney by Judith Viorst
- When Kitty Passed Away: Explaining Pet Cremation to a Child by Linda Makkay
Human-Animal Bond Books:
- The Legacy of Beezer and Boomer: Lessons on Living and Dying from My Canine Brothers by Doug Koktavy http://Beezerandboomer.com
- Merle's Door: Lessons from a Freethinking Dog by Ted Kerasote
Medical Support Books:
- A Dog Lover's Guide to Canine Massage by Jody Chiquoine, RN, MSN, FNP, CCRT and Linda Jackson, LAc, MAcOM, MEd
- Dog Health and Nutrition for Dummies by M. Christine Zink, DVM, PhD
- Four Paws, Five Directions: A Guide to Chinese Medicine for Dogs and Cats by Cheryl Schwartz, DVM
- Home-Prepared Dog and Cat Diets: The Healthful Alternative by Donald R. Strombeck, DVM, PhD.
- Living with Blind Dogs: A Resource Book and Training Guide for the Owners of Blind and Low-Vision Dogs by Caroline D. Levin, RN.
- Planning for Pets: Trusts, Leash Laws and More by Joanne Dekker, Esq.
- Raw Dog Food: Make it Easy for You and Your Dog! By Carina Beth MacDonald
- The Pet Lover’s Guide to Natural Healing for Cats and Dogs by Barbara Fougere, BVSc
- Bodywork for Dogs: Intuitive Touch through Massage, Acupressure, and Awareness by Lynn Vaughan and Deborah Jones
- Building the Canine Athlete: Strength, Stretch, Endurance, and Body Awareness Exercises by M. Christine Zink, DVM, PhD and Laurie McCauley, DVM
- Get on the Ball: A Program for Improving Your Dog's Core Strength, Balance, Flexibility, Tone, and Endurance by Debbie Gross Saunders
- Get on the Ball Two: Improve Your Dog's Core Strength, Balance, Flexibility, and Endurance by Debbie Gross Saunders
- Osteoarthritis and your Dog by Debbie Gross Saunders
- Strengthening the Performance Dog by Debbie Gross Saunders
- Stretching the Performance Dog by Debbie Gross Saunders